Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Atomic Age Design - Beauty and The Bomb

The Atomic Age  - Beauty and The Bomb



For amazing vintage advertising prints https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACMEVintageLimited


For collectible retro
www.revivalvintagestudio.etsy.com



If you're a fan of the madness of great mid-century advertising, check this out.





A brief narrative (and extensive visual) look at how this ...






Enrico Fermi, physicist


turned into this ...


The First Milliseconds of The Atomic Age, "Trinity"


and, yes, this.


1950's Barkcloth Design


Welcome to 1950's America - immersing itself in all things gloriously Atomic - from kaleidoscopic barkcloth to sleek stylish boomerang tables to an episode of The Jetsons. An amorous affair with the molecular which would ultimately shift into a universal apocalyptic dread unprecedented in human history. North American paradox at its best.

And here's where it all began. In 1939 the physicist, Enrico Fermi, succeeded in splitting the first atom. Fission - and the beginning of the scientific and technological advances that would lead to the creation of the Atom Bomb.

Essentially, the detonation of the first atomic bomb (oddly named "Trinity") ushered in what came to be known as The Atomic Age. The Atomic Era could be described as a surreal and bizarre period of atomic optimism which initially infused an entire culture with promises of the wonders of a nuclear future. And it left no stone unturned. 

This collective obsession with the alluring atom found its way into virtually every aspect of popular culture. Design driven by technology - architecture, industrial design, advertising, interior design, fine arts and entertainment. Feast your eyes - The elemental became "all".




BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELTS.

We're in for a nuclear tomorrow.


A cheerful promise.








Boomerang and a Molecular Manhattan




Hello Down There







WARNING - ATOMS CAN BE FUN


Atomic Design became irresistible with the use of atomic motifs and abstract organic forms finding their way into all aspects everyday America. 

The wallpaper you woke up to, the curtains you closed, the radio you cranked up, the tea towels you dried with, the counter you spilled milk on, the ashtray you filled, the games you played, the motel you heard rumours about. You get the picture.











Boomerang Barkcloth






Sounds Atomic










No Stitch Un-Sewn





Atomic Wallpaper




Another Barkcloth Beauty





The Food Basics














Hoop Chair 1955 John Hauser (Canada)





RCA goes Atomic






Beauty via The Beast




Atomic Age Gravel Art



And it's fun for the kids.









"The Nucleon" - Concept Car introduced by  Ford Motor Company 
(No worries. It will be powered by a small nuclear reactor.)






Tomorrow's "Atom" Car




Boom ... "This game is really Super"




It's more than just an atom - It's a city.




"The Spirit of God"





Reading Between the Blasts


Miss Atomic Bomb




A Nuclear Night Out




The Jetsons like it too.




"Operation Crossroads" Reception - The Atomic Cake




THE ATOMIC '50s - SOVIET STYLE



Meanwhile across the pond the Soviet Union pursued its own atomic technology. Runners at your marks. Ready. Set. And the race had begun.




Soviet Nuclear Lab






Dial "A" for Atomic






The Soviet Union worked steadily on its nuclear technology and conducted its first nuclear tests on August 29, 1949 becoming the second nation after the U.S. to create an atom bomb.

And though the USSR didn't seem to share the same all-encompassing aesthetic obsession with all things Atomic, who could resist that little atom's appeal?





An Atomic Stroll through the galaxy





Atomic Acrobatics




Express Post




From Romania and New Zealand ... with love.



Matchbox Art




Agriculture and The Atom




Atomic Test Tube
















Wait a minute ...

ALL IS NOT WELL





It seems that while the U.S. loved exploring the marvels of Atomic energy, it wasn't too pleased that another country could possess it as well. And, slowly but surely, an ominous cloud overcast the carefree days of boomerang bobby-socks, molecular malts and a visit to the Atomic Drive-In. A national sense of unprecedented apocalyptic dread crept insidiously into the American collective consciousness.




DUCK AND COVER



The "Red Scare"


















A Night at the Drive-In

















Leave it to America to turn Fear into Fun.





"Hup, Two, Three, Duck"









Be sure to duck before you fry.




Atomic Attack + Survival = Contradiction in Terms





A Nation Prepares














INTRODUCING THE FALL-OUT SHELTER



Taking in the Sun before Armageddon



Let's take a look inside.




DIY Anyone?




In your own Backyard




All tucked in.




Dressing For The Apocalypse






Fall-Out Fashion







... Let's hope not.




Stay tuned for ... THE SPACE AGE

39 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I love the collection of pictures and posters that you have compiled. I will be quoting you in a blog I am writing about furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, and introducing us to your amazing blog about design and history! We look forward to posting more and sharing more retrofied pictures with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection. You might like the following article by Jon Savage: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/oct/31/pop-music-atomic-bomb-jon-savage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the article and images. Would you mind if I used some of them for a fabric I am creating? I would link to your blog in the final product. :-]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome stuff - very useful for my Pop Culture course unit focusing on the Atomic Age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.

    ออกแบบสติ๊กเกอร์ไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog let me felt delighted with its sensible writing. When I started to read first line I got to know that there is something to learn when I will touch its bottom. And yes I learn a lot.ออกแบบ UI & UX Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful to this blog giving unique and helpful knowledge about this topic, I read your blog now share great information here. This blog increse my knowledge source .ที่ปรึกษาธุรกิจ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.สปอร์ต ไล ท์ led

    ReplyDelete
  10. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .
    ขอ ฆอ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.รับตกแต่งห้องครัว

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    รับสร้างแบรนด์

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
    อ่างล้างหน้า

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us . หิ้งพระ

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.สุขภัณฑ์

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the first time I came to this blog and I found some relevant stuff here. Basically I keen to know new parameters of writing every-time and sometime it become really very hard to find such kind of platform.ก๊อก ฝักบัว

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always replied to this blog post and its been a long time since I came into knowledge of this blog. One of my friend’s suggestion worked for me and I am still regular to read every post of this blog.
    สุขภัณฑ์

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.
    รับ ป ริ้น สติ๊กเกอร์

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.
    ออกแบบและตกแต่งภายใน

    ReplyDelete
  20. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
    exness ฝากเงิน

    ReplyDelete
  22. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    โปรโมชั่น AIS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice to read this publication on this blog. As far as I can see, this is a very basic question for everyone indeed. Its my personal opinion and I am completely agreed with the subject used here
    Fibonacci Retracement

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    กล่องลัง

    ReplyDelete
  25. This blog is really helpful to deliver updated educational affairs over internet which is really appraisable. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now.
    ถาด ไม้

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am glad that I saw this post. It is informative blog for us and we need this type of blog thanks for share this blog, Keep posting such instructional blogs and I am looking forward for your future posts.
    กันแดด

    ReplyDelete
  27. These projects help to control you well ordered in assembling some plan components and afterward refining them in various approaches to finish up with an extraordinary looking and compelling logo. logo design service

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I will revisit once again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.
    đồ gỗ nội thất

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have made some good points there. I checked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.
    forex la gi

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have made some good points there. I checked on the net to find out more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.
    Thư Viện Đầu Tư

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing this information with us looking forward to visit here more. Bangladesh Mobile Phones

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for getting me to this post.....Can't wait to try some of these!

    Reported calls

    ReplyDelete
  34. buy authentic documents online.
    passports, Visas
    drivers licenses
    birth certificates
    ids, SSN/cards
    degrees, PR
    certificates, IELTS, PTE, MPU, etc
    bank notes
    and many other documents.just let us know which document
    Wickr; donabills
    Email; donabills@protonmail.com WhatsApp +1 716 712 4854

    ReplyDelete